Complex thermal efficiency improvement of four teaching and administrative buildings of the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn
The project is implemented under the Operating Programme PL 04 “Saving energy and promoting renewable energy sources” within the framework of the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism.
The project is implementation of one of the assumptions of the “Green University” programme, promoted and implemented by Prof. Ryszard Górecki, Rector of the UWM. It was prepared and submitted (in August 2013) by employees of the investment and technical division of the UWM.
The project, with total implementation costs of PLN 15,361,486, concerns thermal efficiency improvement of four teaching and administrative buildings of the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn. Those buildings were mostly constructed in the pre-war years and modernized in the 1950s. The project was granted a subsidy of PLN 11,926,640 under the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism.
The project started on 08.05.2014 and will last until 30 September 2016.
The following buildings will undergo thermal efficiency improvement:
- Oczapowskiego 2, 4 (the entire Rector’s Office and Faculty of Economic Sciences),
- Oczapowskiego 5 (New Zootechnics),
- Cieszyński Square 1 (Faculty of Food Sciences)
- Szrajbera 11 (Faculty of Fine Arts)
The projects provide for improvement of energy efficiency of the buildings by:
- insulation of external walls, roofs and attics,
- replacement of window and door frames,
- modernization of the central heating system – replacement of heaters with new units with thermostatic valves. In the building at Szrajbera, valves will be also installed on the old heaters,
- modernization of three heat distribution substations, connecting the buildings at Oczapowskiego 2, 4 and 5 and at Cieszyński Square 1, supplied from the group distribution substation in the “Old Boiler Room”. It will consist in insulating distribution lines, equipping each substation with a measuring system, automatic adjustment with control for automatically turning the heating off and for settlement purposes,
- application of energy-saving batteries in bathrooms,
- replacement of lighting with energy-saving LEDs in the building at Szrajbera 11 and Cieszyński Square 1.
Effects of thermal efficiency improvement
The project will result in reducing the total demand of the University of Warmia and Mazury for the final energy by 6,355,074 Kwh/year, i.e. by 56.06%. This will bring about a reduction by 3,204.57 Mg CO2/year, i.e. decrease by 46%, including:
- Oczapowskiego 2 and 4 – 60% reduction of CO2
- Oczapowskiego 5 – 64% reduction of CO2
- Cieszyński Square 1 – 55% reduction of CO2
- Szrajbera 11 – 47% reduction of CO2
Total expected savings in energy costs as a result of project implementation will amount to PLN 1.73 million a year.
The person responsible for project management and its appropriate implementation is the Chancellor of the UWM, together with his deputy for investment and technical issues, who manages the project management team, supervises project implementation, its results and settlements.